Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Mirror, Mirror -- The Very Best of Open Road

In the late eighties and early nineties, I avidly watched thirtysomething and was continually inspired by the poignant quality of the writing.  Richard Kramer, one of my favorite screenwriters, acknowledged the creators in his book These Things Happen, saying in part that Ed Zwick and Marshall Herskovitz encouraged him to write with the intimacy of writing a letter to a small circle of friends to whom he would never have to explain himself.  It’s hard to believe that half a decade has gone by since I wrote my first blog for Open Road, yet in the process of sharing quiet, personal moments from my own life, I found that it has been like composing letters to a dear friend. 
Many of you have written over the years to say that an essay touched your life or allowed you to look at an issue from a different point of view.  The phrase that echoed the most is I needed to read this blog today…it’s very timely for what I’m going through.  That’s one of the reasons I’ve called the blog Open Road, for it invites all of you to bring yourselves to the story, no matter where you might be.  The path is always open to follow, be it the one I offer or the one upon which you’re already traveling. 

In the past five years I’ve created written snapshots of moments in time to which we can all relate.  From enduring a harsh Midwestern winter or welcoming the beauty of springtime, from experiencing quiet miracles to wondering what the future might bring, I’ve found that I’m in very good company…and more often than not, I’ve also discovered our individual journeys intersect at the perfect moment.

You can find the KINDLE and paperback versions on Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment