Friday, October 18, 2013

A woman's right to snooze

          It's a full moon Friday.  Couple that with a lunar eclipse and Mercury going retrograde on Monday, and you've got a recipe for confusion, wonkiness, and weird vibes all around.  It's funny, but as the sun rose this morning (and I've been up since 4:00, so I witnessed it firsthand), I felt the craziness of the imminence of three astrological events strangely diminish.   
          You see, for the past ten days I've been extraordinarily moody (and I'm usually a sap, not a b*&%h).   Repeating old behaviors (see my last blog).  Feeling out of sorts.  My sleep patterns have been out of whack since the beginning of October and I'm now feeling the full effect of not getting enough shut eye.  Ever since I started practicing meditation and yoga in my late twenties, my body has become more attuned to the subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) shifts in the planetary swirl of change.  Unfortunately, it takes my mind a little more time to catch up and realize what's going on. 
          Things are becoming a bit more clear now...thank heavens.  And after a week and a half of wading through life on tenterhooks, the full moon eclipse is finally here, I'm ready for a rest.
          It's not all that unwarranted.

          Last summer I was visiting my friend, Smita, while she was readying her house for company which would arrive the following weekend.  She asked each of her four children to choose a bathroom they would clean themselves.
          My pal, Harshil, complained that he didn't want to do it.
          "I'll trade you," I said brightly.
          "You will?" he grinned.
          I nodded eagerly.  "You betcha!"
          Harshil tilted his head to side.  "Why?"
          "Who has to clean every room in my house?" I asked.
          "You do."
          "Who goes to the grocery and cooks all the meals?"
          "You do."
          "Who scoops the litter box and takes out the trash and cuts the grass?"
          "You do," Harshil sighed.
          "Who has to do the laundry, go to work and pay all of the bills?"
          Harshil nodded.  "I get it...you do."
          I lifted a brow and smiled.  "Cleaning one bathroom doesn't sound so bad now, does it?"
          Harshil grinned back at me.  "I guess not."
          October has been particularly busy with yoga classes and workshops and fall garden clean up galore.  I'm not complaining, mind you.  I'm just saying...it's a lot to have on my plate in addition to keeping up with the household.  God knows how my single friends with children do it all.  I'm just finding my balance after adding another kitten to the mix.

          This weekend, as fall finally settles in for a nice, long visit in my hometown, I'm looking forward to quiet afternoons on the couch with a cup of tea and a stack of good books.  I may take a hike to soak in the ever-changing foliage.  
          Then again, maybe I won't. 
          Sleep is calling my name, beckoning me to sink deep and find balance in silence.  So friends...if I don't answer your email or phone call right away, don't worry.  I'm happily lost in the forest, dreaming a little dream of peace.